Working Abroad

Your assignment-page-001

Live it up! Oaktalent helps you with all your administrative and practical procedures to protect yourself from possible troubles when settling down abroad.

The following information concerns you, if your company does not help you with the main procedures required during your visit in a foreign country.

For your new experience to be successful, we suggest you read the following advice as soon as you arrive:

  1. Respect the host country’s applicable law. Observe and use local customs of your new country, to avoid any deviant behaviour. A tolerated conduct in your own country can be improper abroad. To find out about all local rules, contact your embassy.
  2. Carry at all times your resident permit or any other valid official document. Do not forget to renew them within the given deadlines as some countries severely punish such offence (i.e. expulsion from the territory)
  3. Use the consular services for registration as expatriated citizens. This is not mandatory but should simplify future procedures, such as the implementation of your consular protection.

What is consular protection? It is a support service provided to the citizens of your country in the following instances:

  • Arrest/detention
  • Assault/serious accident 
  1. Ensure to have enough money before settling down, as this could be more expensive than expected. In some host countries, you will be requested to pay in advance for:


    • A rent deposit
    • A guarantee (which may vary from one country to another)
    • Several months of rent payable in advance (sometimes a whole year as in the UAE (United Arab Emirates), United Kingdom and certain Asian countries, etc.)
  1. Open a bank account in the host country. Check all relevant documents according to the local authority and the bank concerned. Ask your bank beforehand for advice.


  1. Subscribe to a new mobile phone


  1. Register the telephone number and postal address of your embassy and/or consulate in your list of contacts

We also recommend to keep in touch with your home country of origin via your embassy and/or consulate, especially regarding the following situations:

  • Retention of your voting rights by requesting a voting proxy
  • Dispatch of private administrative documents (ID card, registration certificate, passes between both countries, etc.)
  • Marriage or birth/adoption declaration (subject to the local authority laws and international conventions)
  • Documents requiring approval of an ambassador (Certificate of authenticity)